Saturday, July 3, 2010

Shivaree Association

For the most part the best things in life are hidden to us. This is why it is so rewarding to find something truly unique and appealing. Sometimes these diamonds in the rough are so awesome that you may in fact miss them the first time you are witness to them. This is understandable considering how much trite we are accosted by on a regular basis. Sometimes our brains just can’t fathom something so great, similar to the ghost of Elvis popping up in your bathroom and puking in your toilet. This was the case with me and one of my new favorite bands: Shivaree. Minus the vomity apparition of course.

On April 16th 2004 the world was treated to the release of the film Kill Bill Vol. 2. Some people liked it, myself included, others not so much. Regardless of your stance on the film, it had an impact on me. Emblazing the motion picture like a jewel in a crown is a most luscious soundtrack. It includes such greats as Johnny Cash, Charlie Feathers, and Shivaree. I dug the soundtrack so much that I bought it immediately after seeing the film. Upon listening to it I was enthralled by a song called Goodnight Moon and was more than satisfied with my purchase. In fact, Goodnight Moon is the first song you hear on the disc, for good reason it is unquestionably a standout track, though it appears during the end credits in the movie.



Still, despite my love of Goodnight Moon I didn’t bother investigating the band that wrote it. I just foolishly associated the song with a soundtrack and nothing more. Eventually the Kill Bill Vol. 2 soundtrack found its way onto my CD shelf and collected dust. It stayed in my collection even though I have sold or trashed many CDs over the years. It even survived stormy relationships and several moves. Nonetheless, it was nearly forgotten.

Recently I felt an urge to discover new music. Being a musician I feel a strong connection to music in general. Music stimulates me on many levels. Like most people I can associate music with time periods of my life. For example, when I listen to Megadeth’s Countdown to Extinction I can’t help but reminisce about the summer between 8th and 9th grade when I would hang out at a pool with friends and jam out all day. Music can take you back which is one reason we all enjoy it. Even more so I couple music with emotion. My current state of mind and temperance all play a part in my choice of music listening. Surely we all have those songs that can lift our spirits when down or get our blood flowing when feeling energetic. Goodnight Moon definitely strokes my goat in this way.

One thing I associate music with is places and settings, oftentimes ones that are completely fictitious. When I write stories I like to put on some tunes that tie thematically to the chapter I am working on. Other times I sit back and wonder what kind of music I would listen to while doing a particular thing or being in a certain place. A new scenario involved imagining what kind of music I would enjoy while driving down one of those long straight highways in west Texas on my way to New Mexico at night. One of the first albums to come to mind was the soundtrack to Kill Bill Vol. 2. I took it to work with me and jammed it late at night while delivering pizza. Just as before, Shivaree’s Goodnight Moon leapt from my stereo speakers and stimulated my pleasure zones like ice cream on my nips.



Not wanting to repeat any mistakes from my past, I flipped the CD case over and read for the first time the name of the band that wrote that enchanting song: Shivaree. Better late than never I suppose.

Using a MP3 program called Zune—which is similar to iTunes but better and thus inferior—I was able to find Shivaree’s albums online, with the exception of one, and purchased them for downloading. I did not even bother to sample them first; I knew I would love it. Ding! It is immensely rewarding to discover a band that is new to you and that has released several albums. Now that I have acquired all of their albums, even the one that was never released in the US, I jam them incessantly. I would even venture to say that Shivaree is in my Top 10 Favorite Bands of All Time.

If you have never devoted brain cells to figuring out what your favorite band is then consider this: what band gives you goose bumps every time you listen to them? Being a performing musician I also ask myself, which bands would I love to play for? Shivaree would be the answer to both of those questions, as well as a few other bands.

Their Wikipedia page describes them as an American rock/pop band. I would also add that they display influences of blues, jazz, and experimental elements. Ambrosia Parsley, the female singer, shows variance of style and tone throughout each song in a way that helps keep each track fresh and entertaining. She can enrapture you like a siren or inspire you to sing along with pulse pounding ferocity. The band, consisting of Danny McGough on keys and Duke McVinnie on guitar, wield such a learned range of talents and techniques that no two songs sound the same. There aren’t many that can compete with this troika of awesomeness.



Do yourself a favor and give me a million dollars. After that check out Shivaree, buy their albums, and go see them perform live. We will all be better for it.

Love,
Smiley Grimm

No comments: